Utility Nav Top Nav Content Left Nav Site Search Site Search Site Search
Educated to Lead. Inspired to Achieve.

FAQs - Military and Westminster

FAQ by Veterans Receiving Educational Benefits

Who is the Veterans Certifying Official at Westminster College?

Mrs. Phyllis Masek is the Veterans Certifying Official at Westminster College. She is also the Registrar and her office is located in the Registrar's Office in Westminster Hall. Please feel free to stop by her office at any time if you have questions regarding your certification.

Can the Veterans Certifying Official help me with questions regarding my eligibility and benefits?

No, the Veterans Certifying Official is only responsible for submitting your enrollment certification and to determine that you are attending class on a regular basis. You should contact the V.A. Administration at 1-888-GIBILL-1 (1-888-442-4551) or https://benefits.va.gov/gibill/ to inquire about eligibility or benefits.

What information should I provide the Veterans Certifying Official in order to receive veteran educational benefits?

In order for your enrollment to be certified to receive veteran educational benefits, you must provide your Certificate of Eligibility to the Veterans Certifying Official. If you are receiving benefits as a dependent of a veteran, you will also need to provide the Veteran's Social Security Number and V.A. File Number.

Military - Westminster College in Fulton, MODo I need to contact the Veterans Certifying Official each semester, in order to be certified?

No, you will automatically be certified each semester unless you notify the Veterans Certification Official that you do not want to receive benefits or you want to delay your benefits.

How long will it take to receive my benefit check?

It normally takes 4-6 weeks from the first week of classes to receive benefits if you have been certified in previous semesters. If you are new to the V.A. Educational Certification System or your certification has to be processed manually, it may take up to 8 weeks for first-time processing.

Who should I contact if I do not receive my benefit check?

You should first contact the Veterans Certifying Official at Westminster to make certain that your enrollment has been certified. If your enrollment has been certified, you will then need to contact the V.A. Educational Office. The V.A. contact information is 1-888-GIBILL-1 (1-888-442-4551). Be advised this line only accepts calls from 7:00 AM - 7:00 PM central time Monday - Friday and you may experience long hold times. You may also access the V.A. website at https://benefits.va.gov/gibill/ for additional contact information. Another helpful website including Student Handouts, Brochures, and Regulations is https://www.benefits.va.gov/gibill/handouts_forms.asp

Yellow Ribbon Westminster College in Fulton, MODo I need to attend classes regularly in order to receive veteran benefits?

Yes, you must attend classes on a regular basis in order to receive benefits. Your instructors will be notified to contact the Veterans Certifying Official if you have excessive absences or you are not making satisfactory progress. Lack of attendance or satisfactory progress may result in a loss of your benefits. You may also be instructed by the V.A. to verify your attendance with W.A.V.E. (Web Automated Verification of Enrollment). Those receiving the Post-9/11 GI Bill do not have to verify their attendance through WAVE.

Are all classes eligible for veteran educational certification?

No, the following courses are not eligible for veteran educational certification:

  • A course that is repeated only to raise the GPA. Courses that must be repeated to improve the grade required for major or general education requirements may be repeated but courses repeated only to raise the cumulative GPA are not eligible.
  • Remedial courses are not eligible unless they count for graduation.
  • Courses completed that are not required for total cumulative hours, general education, or major certification are not eligible. Hours completed in excess of graduation requirements (for example: hours for additional teacher certification, hours for CPA exam, etc.) are not eligible.
If you enroll in a non-traditional course (independent study, internship, on-line course, etc.), please contact the Veteran Certifying Official to confirm eligibility.

Photo Caption 1: Stephan McKee (Army ROTC) and Victor Stichnot (Marine Corps Officer Candidate) at Alumni Weekend
Photo Caption 2: Recently commissioned Stephan McKee
Back to Top